Down to Earth






Bored, Internet and the Spain-Portugal Trip

Dear Bloggy,

Currently I am really bored. I haven't start any work yet but preparing mentally to teach soon. Just got my internet connection. I registered with Celcome broadband. It is quite good so far. Very fast access for facebook and other websites which Streamyx failed to provide a fast mode access. Anyway, since I am so free at the moment, I thought of updating the Spain trip I had recently before I came back to Malaysia.

Travelling makes me feel good. I really love to explore and see new things such as culture, architecture, people etc. And sometimes I get to taste food from the country I visited. 4 years in the UK I have managed to travel to many countries in Asia and Europe. But mostly, I travelled to European countries during the holidays because it is must easier to travel to these countries from the UK. Places I have been are Ireland, Japan, Chez Republic, Austria, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Holland, Australia and France. Quite a lot of cities I covered in each country I went and it is a bit unreasonable to list down all because a lot!

After finishing my Masters programme my friends and I planned a 10 days trip to Spain and Portugal. The trip was supposed to be joint by 4 people but one of us could not make it and thus, left us three went there together. Honestly, I did not really study Spain and Portugal that much. I only read the basic information about these two countries such as about the transportation, food, crime rate, languages etc. I hardly know about the history of the places I went unlike my trip in Italy, I studied about the history of the arts and architectures of Italy.

I spent around 7 days in Spain, 3 days in Barcelona and 4 days in Madrid. In Madrid, I did not spend the total days there. I moved around to the nearest places to Madrid such as Toledo and Seville because I wanted to make use of the euro train pass I bought in London.

Barcelona is a wonderful place. If you look at the Barcelona map, it is amazing to see that the buildings are built up together in a square shapes. I do not really understand how the oldies architects were able to design such city. Some of the buildings are unique especially those who designed by Gaudi, one of the famous architects in Barcelona.


Random pictures taken in Barcelona

I took some pictures of the buildings designed by Gaudi such as Sagrada de Familia, Case Battlo and Park Guel.


Park Guel


Casa Battlo and the interior designs by Gaudi


More interior designs in Casa Battlo

In fact, I also entered one of Gaudi’s buildings in the city and enjoyed looking at the beautiful interior design made by Gaudi. He seems to love arts in a form of nature and animals.


Sagrada de Familia

Sagrada de Familia, the most famous building, looks really ugly to me yet unique. Historically, Sagrada de Familia was said to be unfinished design because Gaudi was killed in a tram accident and it was left unfinished until today. There are many arts things in Barcelona and I bought quite a lot of souvenirs such as bag, earring, necklace, fridge magnets etc which engraved with nice arts.

La Rambla


One of the stalls in La Rambla

I love to walk around the La Rambla, a place like ‘Petalling Street’ in KL. However, it is not really safe to walk alone around Barcelona because there are drug addicts, drug dealers, pick pockets etc. I have seen these in my own eyes. There was one time I walked with my friend, Chiunghui, I saw a drug addict was injecting himself and kind of drunk of drugs. You know what I mean like in fantasy. Anyway, I do not really like Barcelona, because firstly the hostel was sucks even though it was in a strategic place that is near La Rambla. Secondly, the city is quite dirty and crowded. What I love about Barcelona city is the architecture and the beach (though Malaysia beach is much better it is acceptable).

Alright, in the next post hopefully, I will tell you more about the trip to Madrid, Toledo and Seville (my favourite place among all places I have been in Spain).
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 19 October 2008 at 23:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear blogger! I see you have a lot of interest in traveling. It would be an honour if you would register at TravelBoards (PR3 Multilanguage travel forum) and become a respected member of this new community! Signature links to your blog are accepted. I hope to welcome you soon!    



» Post a Comment