Down to Earth






The Quran: It is a book of LAW

Dear Bloggy,

I had a chat with Jannat in the social evening in law school this evening. She was telling how at first there was huge people attending the Islamic Finance Law class. These people came from different religious beliefs-Christians, Islam etc. However, as the class had go on for two weeks, less people turn up to this class and left only the Muslims in that class. Then I asked why? Jannat said is because the lecturer touched about syariah and Quran which, make some other believers uncomfortable about it especially when the lecturer mentioned about the Quran.

So here, I thought if my friends from different religions read this, I really hope they understand what I'm trying to say. The Quran that the Muslims hold is not only about religious things like in Bible. It covers most laws in our lives which include, Criminal laws i.e hudud, Equity and Trusts (which I was supprised as well when I read it), Financial laws etc. I really feel grateful that I took law as my major because when I started to read the Quran translation I can understand every laws that God have gave us.

In the first two chapters of the Quran, God mentioned about the history of God's books of law which started from Zabur (by Prophet Noah A.S), Torah (by Prophet Moses A.S), Injil (by Prophet Jesus A.S) and Quran (by Prophet Muhammad S.A.W). But for today, God said that we should rely on Quran because that is the latest version of laws as the other previous books have been altered by humans. The Quran verses, as I read are very general and thus the only interpretations of those verses that we could rely are those made by the Prophet Muhammad (known as Sunnah) and other reliable wise people (known as hadis). God has promised that the Quran would never be altered by any human being, therefore it's 100% realiable. Meaning even though how old it is, it can fit any environment.

So for example like wearing hijab or scarf, in the Quran it didn't say that the Muslim women must wear hijab but in general terms it says Muslim women must covers the bosom and reveal only the approriate beauty. But there are three hadis interpretations on this term which, cover the head with reason, cover the face i.e purdah with reason and cover the approriate part with reason. This is one of the examples of law for women that God mentioned in the Quran. Another examples in Hudud law which is criminal law, one of it is cut the hand of the theft. Well, when I first read it, sounds really harsh right? But when I went on to read the next verse God said that in order to apply this punishment it must be dealed with care; reasonable evidences and justice. Meaning if let say a Defendant (the person being accused) stealed money from someone, the judge must consider why the Defendant did that and whether what he was doing harm the society.

Ok, I won't talk much about the Quran, because what I'm trying to say here is that the Quran is not only about religious belief despite that it asked us to belief in one God; it's more about rules and laws for the human. Islam means harmony or happiness. In order for the humans to feel happy and live in harmony is to follow the laws and rules. You know like we are doing right now following the laws made by the Parliament. One thing I don't realize about some Muslims religious people; why do they have to take things very complicated when the Quran terms are very simple and general.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 30 January 2008 at 03:40, Blogger nizar yusoff said...

wow!! can't believe that it's my sister who wrote this!!!    



At 30 January 2008 at 13:49, Blogger Sakura said...

Ahem! Dont play play..(gaya pHua chu kang dgn tahi lalat dia)    



» Post a Comment